It has been quite a while since I updated this Blog. I've been working diligently on numerous parts of the printer and I've been able to produce some pretty phenomenal results. So I thought it was time to provide an update. I'm going to break the update down into multiple parts to provide a more regular update process going forward.
For this first update I'm going to focus on the CNC machining process for the printer parts. I've learned an enormous amount about fabricating parts in the last 6 months. I've also collected a variety of new tools - including an arbor press, 5C collet holder, and a high speed drill. I've also fabricated new workbenches for assembly and testing:
The first thing I started fabricating was new aluminum parts for the X/Y carriage to replace the 3D printed prototypes.
After running some test prints I started redesigning the printhead for improved modularity and usability. It is now clear that a good printhead design is 80% of the value of a precision 3D printer. I'll go through the various iterations of the printhead in the next blog entry, but in the mean time here's some quick previews:
In November I attended the Houston Makerfaire and had a small booth. It was a very useful to put everything I had together and practice presenting it to others. I received some great feedback from numerous people and encouragement to keep going.
As part of that I created a collage video to show various steps in the fabrication process:
More to come!