The next piece of the prototype I worked on was the Z axis support. I used the same technique as the main support plates, but on a much smaller scale. I was able to fabricate all four parts out of one large plate:
Next I started mounting the electronics to the back. This necessitated drilling additional holes that I hadn't included in the original plate design. I didn't really want to disassemble everything to fit it in the mill, so I built a short table to allow it to fit into my drill press as a whole unit:
Given the fact that this is just a prototype, I left most of the wiring exposed. However I did enclose the main power switch. Simple but clean.
Before I can start printing I need to finish mounting the Z axis screw and motor and fabricate the build plate itself. Hopefully I can have it all up-and-running next week!