3d Printer Project: Fabrication #4

This weekend I began drilling the holes in the ends of the plates.  To do this I attached the right angle adapter to the mill.  I struggled a bit with the best way to generate the gcode for the operations.  I ended up simply coding it directly, since most of the standard functions of the mill are permuted with the right angle head on.  

To align the plate with the table I used two 2-3-4 blocks and set up pins to ensure repeatability:

I made another quick video of the drilling operation.  Sorry about the bad camera angle.

This allowed me to finally start assembling the plates together.  

I also figured out a quick way of attaching the core to the outer frame to test fit the entire structure.  This showed me a few issues I still need to work out, mainly around clearance for access to various screws and wire slots.  But at least it's starting to actually look like a printer.


Posted on February 22, 2015 and filed under CNC Machining, 3D Printers, Projects.